Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bridal Show Ridiculosity

Against my better judgement, i am going to share with you my thoughts and experiences of a certain event that I attended with my mother. The reason I am hesitant is because you might judge me, as I would definitely judge you.

It has not been 2 months into my engagement, and I have secured every vendor needed for my wedding, with a 50% deposit. With all of this under my belt, my mother and I decided to venture to the Dallas Bridal Show and see what it was all about. No commitments needed to be made, no stress, and just wanting to fill our energy and spirit with other brides who are as excited about weddings as I am.

The first clue that this was the cheese of the cheese, came to me that Saturday morning while my mom and I were at the seamstress discussing how she was going to remake my vintage mantilla style veil. (it was my moms!) I mentioned to the amazing Bea that we were headed to the Dallas Market to check out the Bridal Show. I kid you not, she looked up at me, her eyes as big as my heart is filled with love for Steven (which is huge) and said..."oh... that's interesting". Immediately I began my questioning: Why? What's Wrong? What should I expect? Very classy, she stated, "Its just a little corny, thats all". Understatement of the year.

I'll give you a few experiences that make this day amazingly full of memories. First of all, if you are having a hard time finding a DJ for your wedding, look no further than a Bridal Show. I have never in my life, been so acosted by so many old men in trashy tuxes, using low voice changes to lure me into their booth to discuss "what they can spin". (um, you're not spinning, you are pressing a button on a track that someone else gives you).

Second, be aware of the tasty treats lying around. There are multiple cake vendors who have many options of cake for you to try. Most of them are delicious, except for the one vendor, i will not mention, that had beautiful display, but the cake was so bad i literally spit it out into a napkin. My mom couldn't believe it was so bad so she actually went in for a second try!!! NO GRAYLENE! DON"T DO IT!!! she did. it only got worse, she said...

On the same note as above, there are caterers around displaying their talents and menus and generosity at sharing some mini treats. Well, beware, because one certain caterer had some delicious looking quiches on display. I picked one up and popped it into my mouth... it was chillingly cold and it's all i can do to chew it up and swallow. That's when a 'nice' lady came up to me and, a little curtly, explained that I had just eaten a Display Quiche. REALLY?? um, put up a sign! g.r.o.s.s. I ate a display.

All in all, the show wasn't that bad. Just uber corny with vendors really excited about me being there (which I adore).

Let's quickly move on to the people... Excuse me. Did I title this section Baby Show? No, I didn't. I have never seen so many teenagers, with strollers as big as their large behinds, carting around babies. Babies were everywhere! They hindered my walking, my maneuvering to booths, and just my mood in general. I mean, i love babies, but not at a Bridal Show. At a Bridal Show, it's all about the Bride, aka Me, so move on over little "baby we planned you but you just came 10 years too early".

This posting has become longer than expected, but i cannot leave without discussing the Fashion Show. Ohhh....yes... you read correctly. There was a Fashion Show. Let me create a vision for you... picture this: A large room at a convention center only using 25% of the space... a T shaped runway flanked by shiny polyester drapes in all sorts of pink and white hues accented with a plastic fern...and in the center of it all, to get us brides in the mood, a 50 year old saxaphone player, complete with shades, red t-shirt, and a bald headed low pony tail... it was too much for one day. It is now confirmed that my mom and I can speak to each other with our eyes, because both of us knew exactly what the other was thinking.

Graylene and I left in good spirits. This show reinforced the fact that my mom and I are not only on the same page as far as style, but we that we really do have great taste. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment