Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My First Wedding Crash

I believe that the band totally makes or breaks a party. You can spend tons of money, have the coolest people there, but if your band sucks, nobody is ever going to trust anything you say again. You have officially branded yourself as Person With Really Bad Taste.

Once I had semi-surfaced back on Earth from being in the clouded haze of staring into my shiny diamond ring at all times, I realized that the first crucial step in planning my wedding was choosing The Band. Forget the church or the reception venue, I needed to make sure a fantastic band was available for my celebratory party. (and if you did not understand from my previous blog, I am not considering a DJ... they are so hit or miss... mainly miss. just my opinion, but obviously the right one.)

So began my search. I have develped an attitude that amongst the "things Casey absolutely has to have" list, are things I absolutely have to have and the Wedding God has been on my side so far, so this was going to be a piece of Princess Flavored Wedding Cake. So I worked with Absolute Entertainment (best of the best for this stuff) and they helped me narrow my search down to 3 bands. I listened to the demos, subconciously rated them from 1 to 3 and let My People know that I needed to know when and where they were playing so I could check them out in person. (from here on out, i will refer to My People as anyone on my team that gets things done for me. They are held in the highest respect.)

Band #1: This band was my 3rd choice of the three so I went into this with and open mind, but very unattached. My fiance and I went to a great dinner with our friends Kevin and Megan. We invited the 2 of them to come Wedding Crashing with us. We figure, no big deal, we are just going to sneak into the reception, have some wine, maybe some vodka, and judge the band that was first on our list.... Oh, no, no... the reception we happened to crash, not only was the only Jewish wedding I've ever seen in Texas (we witnessed a Money Dance) but there were only 50 people in attendance at this wedding. Needless to say, when we walked in, everybody knew. The band was alright, but I didn't have that "have to have them" feeling that I am so comfortable with. We left very quickly but not without a party favor that consisted of a travel toothbrush. (note: something NOT to have my wedding)

Band #2: From the demos, this band is The Band. I loved them right off. So the next event that we are headed to, I am a little attached but I try to again have an open mind. Steven and I think we have got this crashing down. No more awkward walk ins so we decide to go by ourselves. We dress up and we both look good. Cocktail Style, nobody would know we weren't invited. We were the ultimate Couple at the Wedding. Au Contraire... We head into the hotel where this "private party" was taking place. We note from the noise, that the reception must be going on upstairs, although we don't see any signs that say "Blah/Blah Wedding --->". No big deal, we are feeling good. This is our second wedding to crash so we are going to breeze on in...

We make it upstairs and are directed toward a very large room where the doors are closed. We open the doors... we hear the band, they sound great... there is a white sort of dome-like tunnel that we must pass through to get to the main area... band still sounds amazing, we are ready... then we enter the ballroom...

Not only were were the only white people in this room, but we were the only people not dressed in a superhero outfit. I kid you not... my first look around the room and I see Wonder Woman, The Rock Guy from Fantastic 4, Spider Man, Super Man and tons of 'things' that only the Marvel Comic Fans know about. We had walked straight up into a Comic Book Convention. Well, it's not like we could turn around, this band was The Band. So Steven and I boldly walk to an empty table and take a seat... It was soo much to take in.

We were laughing and dancing at the table because that is what this band inspired inside of us... it didn't matter that we were the White Wedding Couple amongst all of the Super Heros, we were there for the band and in this journey discovered that there really are, in fact, people who think they are super heros. Good for them. I will also never again assume that "private party" means "wedding"... there are so many things it could mean... kind of like when a co-worker calls some celebrity "hot" and you take a look at Nick Nulty like you never have before, still think the worst and yet you love that co-worker for having a unique type, although you will never assume that when they say 'hot' that it's a good thing. Like when she told me I looked pretty the next day... I immediately went into the bathroom to see what was wrong with me because someone who thinks Nick Nulty is hot obviously has horrible taste. I digress...

A day later, I emailed My People and told them to book My Band, Done and Done!!! I received a disturging response email saying they were already in a contract and the other party had 2 days to get a deposit down. If they did not, then the band was mine. This is how I know that Wedding God is blessing my marriage... I prayed that this other party would fall through but only because it wasn't the right thing for them... I never mentioned myself in the prayers or the benefit that would befall upon me due to their very timely demise. I was doing a selfless act.

And the Wedding God opened his arms and beckoned me to him... He was granting this prayer of mine. I ran to him, filled with the excitement that any young bride-to-be would feel at hearing that the date she wanted at the church just opened up because the other bride's groom went to Vegas and.... well, lets just get excited that The Band is mine. It just feels so right.

No comments:

Post a Comment